Wednesday, August 20, 2008

New Friends and Old Friends

I didn't really think I had time for any new friends in my life. In fact, I feel guilty because I have a hard time keeping up and being a good friend to the ones I already have. But this summer I met a group of women at a Bible study that met once a week. These women were so genuine, wanting to please God and be the people they were intended to be, yet recognizing their weaknesses and struggles at the same time. I was drawn to them for their honesty, their compassion, their determination to draw nearer to God. By the end of the summer and the final meeting for the Bible study, I realized that this group has touched my heart and I'll never forget any of them. How did that happen? Oops! I forgot to stay aloof, I guess! Then a few nights ago I organized a gathering for 12 women who met at work back in the early 1980's. We've all moved on to different jobs and don't see each other much but once a year I get us all together to reunite for an evening of shared memories, current happenings, and of course pictures of vacations, kids, and grandkids. These friends have history together, and I value them for their part in my life.

No comments: