Thursday, April 30, 2009

From CAT to CAT

A few weeks ago, Beckie took the CAT for her standardized achievement test. We got her results back and she was in the 85th percentile overall. She was weakest in spelling, which dropped significantly since last year. I'm happy that she improved in math. I think she might now be at a level where she could take a few courses at a community college. As usual, she rocked out the language arts portion of the test, showing once again that I have reproduced myself in my student. Those were always my strongest areas, and what I enjoy teaching the most. I could probably just let Beckie move on to college courses in that, too, but I love teaching her literature and there are several books I want to be sure she reads before graduation from high school.

Later today I am also taking a CAT, but mine is a cat scan of my sinuses to see if a cause can be determined for my headache. This is the 8th week of the headache. I kind of think I could win either way it turns out. If I have something treatable, I'll get relief from the pain and more time with my family. If I have something that is not treatable but instead is terminal, I get to go home to Jesus. The worst outcome seems to be if nothing is found and I continue to have no relief from the headache.

No comments: